Paint the fabric of an old chair, discolored or stained to give it a new look. While you can reupholster the chairs with new fabric, fabric painting existing paint special or a mixture of fabric paint is usually a cheaper alternative and less time consuming. Refreshes the seat of an old chair painted a mural or choosing a colored solid paint to completely change the fabric.
- Clean the seat of the chair to remove any dust or dirt.
- Mix equal quantities of satin latex paint with medium for fabric. Add water that is about one-half the amount of paint.
- Remove the fabric seat or cushion from the seat of the chair to prevent paint from falling on other parts of the chair and moisten the cloth with a water spray.
- Apply three thin layers of paint in the direction of the grain of the fabric or make a design of different colors. Uses the solid paint method for more professional looking results. Rub any balloon with sandpaper in the direction of the grain.
- Let the paint dry completely.
- Mix equal amounts of acrylic paint with medium cloth. Add a few drops of water.
- Paint a thick layer of acrylic paint in the direction of the grain of the fabric, softening it while you work.